Become a Group Leader
Why Become a Support Group Leader?
As a Support Group Leader you will have a significant effect on your Group.
Leaders use communication, esteem, vision and enthusiasm to motivate people to achieve personal and organizational goals. The true test of your leadership is the feeling people have after a meeting with you!
The art of leadership is empowering people to be all that they can be. Helping people feel excited and passionate about a purpose. Successful Leaders feel deeply and express themselves with confidence.
As a Leader your main role is to ensure that the Group fulfills its aims to the best of its abilities. These aims are providing information and support. You must exhibit the skills and ability to be able to encourage a safe environment for discussion and expressing emotion and to keep the discussion focused. Encourage Members to share their stories and feelings and ensure the Group benefits all Members.
Key points about the Leader’s responsibilities:
- maintain a safe, friendly and warm environment
- build Group cohesion
- facilitate balanced discussion (lead the discussion, do not dominate it)
- be an active listener, but do not give advice or provide counselling
- maintain confidentiality
- encourage everyone to participate in the Group and to respect the views of others
- be honest – if you don’t know the answer, say so, but commit to trying to find it
- find information to answer questions from meetings
- keep a sense of perspective, don’t let the Group rule your life
- be good humoured at all times
If this sounds like something you would like to do, or you would like to learn more, please contact us!